Saturday, July 31

Parenthood



First, let me bestow you with a quick definition of the term “party.”

par·ty
   /ˈpɑrti/ Show Spelled [pahr-tee]
a. A social gathering especially for pleasure or amusement.
b. A group of people who have gathered to participate in an activity.
c. Clubbin’

Now, for some reason or another I woke up this morning with the club folks weighing heavy on my mind. Baby mama’s, deadbeat dads, club hoppers, posers outside of the club, and even the plain old un-included folks. The baby mama who partied last night, and was just picking her kids up from the babysitter at 10am crossed my mind. The baby daddy who slept with some chick other than his baby’s mother came up. Even the cat on the outside looking in had a place in my heart.

So, the thing that’s grinding my gears right now is what should a parent be doing on a Friday night? Is it okay to hit the club and spend your rent money on drinks, titties, or someone else’s drinks? What about your child? As a father, and an expecting father as well, I have a issue with parents leaving their kids on prime family time moments to hit the streets. It’s a sign of immaturity. It’s a sign of irresponsibility. It’s a sign of selfishness. Am I being a little Bill Cosbyish by saying that we should be doing something with our kids on a Friday night that can in somehow enrich them?

I remember growing up and on Friday nights I looked forward to mom taking us to rent a video game for the Sega Genesis, and buying some pizza from Little Caesars. Just being at home, and knowing that mom was there was enough. There are plenty of things to do with your kids on the weekend. I’m not saying that as a parent you are restricted from having fun without your kids, but you have to remember to keep your kids first in all that you do.

So, I’ll ask again… what should a parent be doing on a Friday night?


Keep Hip Hop Alive, One Bar At A Time
Over and Out, DocBoone

No comments: